Sunday, April 11, 2010

Goddess...


http://www.marilynmonroe.com/


This week I’ve been looking at women in 1950-60’s film whilst writing my dissertation, particularly their approach to female empowerment. I’ve been reading ‘The Sex Goddess in American Film, 1930-1965: Jean Harlow, Mae West, Lana Turner, and Jayne Mansfield’ by Jessica Hope Jordan who suggests that these women used their understanding of sexual empowerment to manipulate their male characters to their own devices. By enhancing their sexuality and femininity, these women became powerful and much loved women.

It also reminds me of the Marilyn Monroe biography, Goddess: The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe by Anthony Summers I read last year which was a fascinating look into her life and the mystery that surrounded her death.

Not only was she beautiful and talented, I've always love the fashion in these photographs, her style and interestingly, her connection with my paper on Female Empowerment.

No comments:

Post a Comment